SCIENTIFIC NAME: Gentiana andrewsii
COMMON NAMES: Bottle Gentian, Closed Bottle Gentian, Andrew's Gentian, Closed Gentian
BLOOM TIME: Aug, Sept, Oct
- Bumblebees are primary pollinators of the flowers.
- Bumblebees one of few insects that can force their way into fused cone -shaped petal.
- Cylindrical flower shape & star-shaped tip keeps smaller & less efficient pollinating insects from robbing nectar & pollen from the bumblebees.
- Bitter-tasting foliage deters mammalian herbivores.
- Deer may chomp off tender tops of plants before they have a chance to flower, causing central stem to form smaller side branches.
- Seeds are too small to be of much interest to birds.