SCIENTIFIC NAME: Vernonia fasciculata
COMMON NAMES: Ironweed, Common Ironweed, Prairie Ironweed, Smooth Ironweed
BLOOM TIME: July, Aug, Sept
- Host plant to American Painted Lady butterfly.
- Flowers attract long-tongued bees, butterflies, & skippers. Bees that seek nectar & collect pollen include bee flies & Halictid bees.
- Caterpillars of several moths feed on Ironweed.
- The bitter foliage of Ironweed deters consumption by mammalian herbivores.
- Known as an 'increaser' because it is one of the last plants to be eaten in overgrazed pastures.